How mature are your company’s requirements practices?
About the Assessment
This online assessment tool provides you with a basic evaluation of your organization’s requirements maturity. The tool asks 39 questions about your requirements definition and management processes, the skills of your Business Analysts, the tools and techniques you use, and your organization.
Your answers are mapped to IAG’s industry recognized Requirements Maturity Model and you are provided a brief report that identifies your organization’s maturity level with both strengths and suggested focus areas for improvement of your Business Analysis practice.
IAG Consulting’s Requirements Maturity Checkup assessment was created based on the Requirements Maturity Model (RMM). The RMM is a means to benchmark an organization’s effectiveness in requirements definition and management by looking at maturity in six underlying capabilities. Like similar standards-based models, it classifies companies based on observed, tangible competency in each capability to make an objective assessment of overall maturity.
How is the Requirements Maturity Model Structured?
IAG’s Requirements Maturity Model has two dimensions:
- Maturity Level: IAG’s is a staged maturity model similar to those used by several industry standards bodies. An organization progresses up the ladder (to the right) as goals are achieved and thresholds surpassed. Each level of maturity shifts the emphasis to different requirement practice characteristics. Each level builds a foundation for succeeding levels.
- Capability Area: Six capability areas are assessed and combined to determine the maturity level of a organization’s requirements management practice. These six are the fundamental building blocks for requirements definition and management and include:
- Process: Definition, usage, and management of requirement procedures.
- Practices & Techniques: Definition of how analysts will perform work, the efficiency and effectiveness of these activities.
- Technology: Provision, usage, and integration of software tools in the context of the requirements practice.
- Staff Competency: Level of knowledge, skills, and ability of the workforce.
- Deliverables: Definition, production, and usage of work products as output from the requirement process.
- Organization: Organizational model and services delivered to stakeholders, the provision of resources and resource management in the delivery of these services, and the framework of process and tool governance.
Overall Maturity is a composite of performance across the six capability areas. IAG weights each area slightly differently based on our experience in what drives effective long term performance and consistency in requirements execution. Hence, each respondent has “maturity” determined within each of the six capability areas, in addition to a single aggregate maturity score. Maturity is very ‘step-like’ in nature. There is no “Level 2.3” for example. An organization progresses up the ladder as tangible goals are achieved and thresholds are surpassed. From time-to-time, IAG may present more granular sub-step data to readers to assist in visualizing trends; however, our intent is to show the progression of skills that happen at Level 1, at Level 2, at Level 3 etc.
Beyond the Requirements Maturity Checkup
The Requirements Maturity Checkup was created as quick and engaging look at the surface of your organization’s requirements practice. For an exhaustive third-party evaluation and fully detailed view of your organization’s requirements, IAG Consulting will conduct a Requirements Management Maturity Assessment (RMMA). Using interviews, testing and behavioral questionnaires, IAG prepares an analytical report which includes specifically targeted recommended actions based on the rating of your current requirements processes, staff competency, practices, techniques, tools, level of organizational support and quality of deliverables and results. Typically the research and interviews are conducted in a one-day onsite visit and the detailed report is provided to the client within one week of the engagement. Contact Us for more information
Click below to start the assessment now
This tool is based on IAG’s Requirements Maturity ModelTM (RMMTM) and is provided by IAG as a free service to the Business Analysis, Requirements Definition and Management community. It is not intended to be a full and comprehensive maturity assessment. For a more complete and detailed analysis, IAG conducts 2-5 day on-site assessments and provides a detailed report and presentation.